I Am John's Stomach Pains.

On The Precipice of Mediocrity, Teetering

Monday, August 27, 2007

Week of HELLALTH  

Thought I'd give you an update on how my first week on NutriSystem worked out. Suffice to say, I am incredibly happy, as in 7 days, I dropped 9.2lbs from Monday morning to Monday morning! That's nearly a 3.8% drop from my starting weight, which is just awesome. I know the first week is supposed to be insanely good for guys, but this is such a great result, I'm actually thinking my minor goal of a 10% drop by Halloween is going to be attainable.

I got a little exercise in, some daily walking, lotsa softball, even a light Pilates routine with Kris, but it's both our hopes we'll be able to step it up a notch this week... perhaps even waking up half an hour earlier in the morning for some 20 minute routine. As expected, the exercise part is going to be the hard part, but I think if we get into a routine before the Fall TV season starts, we'll be able to find a good rhythm.

While I didn't have a a goal weight for my first week, I did have a separate goal of "no cheating" for the first seven days, which I was able to reach perfectly. Yep, I followed the plan laid out to the letter (technically, the bubble). And today, I'm even giving yogurt a try, which I never thought I'd do. First impressions: it's not as bad as I remember, and it may actually grow on me.

Yes, that was a yogurt/culture joke. *knocks microphone* Is this on?

So, anyway, week 2 is starting, and I'm allowing myself one cheat this week... Tuesday is my live Fantasy Football draft, and I'll be treating myself to a beer and a whole slice of pizza. But hopefully that's the only cheating I'll do.

Labels:

posted by Holz | 10:20 AM | Rant & Rave, Bitches! (9)

9 Comments:

Keep it up! The not cheating is the hard part. This last week has been brutal on me since it was my B-Day and I had cake almost every day. Still, I've lost 14lbs total. It's coming off slowly, but surely. 16 more to go.

By Blogger Stan, at 8/28/2007 8:41 AM  


John,
Way to go. Just stick with it and you will keep losing. Be careful of the beer, that is what puts the weight on. When we get to see you next summer we will not know who you are. keep up the good work.
Grandmom

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2007 6:06 PM  


Well done Holz.

In your body, there's a substance called Glycogen. Everybody has it, like fat. Fat people have more of it though.

Glycogen can hold up to *5* times its own weight in water. It is like a sponge. It soaks water up. So most programs like the one you are on, will tell you that in the first week, you will see a lot of loss. But it's mostly water. (And glycogen.)

Now, the glycogen stores in your body are depleted (and the 5 times amount of water is gone) the real serious part happens... Getting rid of the fat.

This will happen at a much slower rate. To give you an idea how slow... Let's say a normal male requires 2600 calories a day. (It's closer to 2500, I think but this makes the math easier.) The program you're on provides 1300 a day. That's a 1300 calorie deficit.

7 days a week, gives that 9100 calories. Now, a pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So in 1 week, a 2600 calorie spending guy, will lose 2 - 3 lbs of fat in a week, minimum.

You can try to increase this by excercise. But go lightly at first. Remember that the more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body burns even if not excercising.

Also, I don't know the details of the nutrition of the program you are on, but if it's high protein, low carb, then you will probably go into a state of ketosis. In which case, you won't be burning all the fat cells, you will actually lose a lot through urine etc... So your weight loss will be a little higher because of that.

=========

In a nutshell, when Weeks 2 and 3 are not as amazing as Week 1, please do not get discouraged.

Good luck!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2007 1:24 AM  


Thanks for the kind words... and Grandma, Kris cracked up at you "be careful of the beer" line with a "But you hardly ever drink!"

I wish I could blame my weight gain an a simple beer belly... no, I have a feeling it was the constant visits to Wendy's & Jack in the Box.

An MC, thanks for the glycogen info. Yeah, I think the biggest thing I've learned so far has been the calorie information. I'm wary to hazard an hard figure, but I imagine I was averaging between 3500 and 4000 calories a day before, with little to no exercise, so it's no surprise I was ballooning up. The fact that I can now average under 1500 can do nothing but help me overall.

I'm determined not to get discouraged, mainly because as a numbers guy, seeing the stark difference in caloric intake I *was* getting compared to now, it must be healthier.

The biggest surprise of the meals is the fact the stuff they provide actually isn't very nutrional. There's high amount sof fat, but it's al about portions, which since I haven't been starving, has been a pleasant surprise.

I'll try and keep everyone appraised on a Monday Morning basis...

Now if only I can catch up on my summer movie reviews and Potter 7 thoughts...

By Blogger Holz, at 8/29/2007 9:20 AM  


Good job, keep it up
_chris

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/30/2007 9:23 AM  


Nothing like a good start to motivate you! Good job! Keep up the positive attitude!

By Blogger Amber, at 8/30/2007 9:42 AM  


Ok....where's the week 2 update??

Pop

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/04/2007 12:17 PM  


Huge blog entry coming later today... but I can say I beat my target in my second week :-)

By Blogger Holz, at 9/04/2007 12:20 PM  


Nice!

Pop

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/04/2007 1:12 PM  


Post a Comment


Right Now I'm Probably...
Watching:
Lost, Heroes, 24, Criminal Minds
Listening:
Brobdingnagian Bards
Reading:
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Playing:
Final Fantasy XII
Eating:
Healthy...er
Doing:
Running... hopefully
Wishing:
My Amazon.com Wish List
Comic Quote of the Week
"It's trying to end the suffering of everything. Do you want to discuss our options? Maybe together we can, you know, workshop?"

"Okay, best way to stop a ten-story godlike monster from destroying existence? I'm gonna go with hitting, you have anything?"

"You took mine."


Wesley and Angel, Angel: After The Fall #15



Who Am I?
Name: Holz
Home: Sonoma County, California
About Me: I'm a comfortador.
See my complete profile

AKA:
Ozymandias, DrOzymandias, Darth Angelus, Darque Feonix, Trip McNeely
Kicking ass for:
29 years
Job:
UWing Systems Design Specialist
Walking Theme:
Believe It Or Not by Joey Scarbury
Most watched movie:
The Princess Bride
Most read book:
The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King


Where Do I Go?
Blogs I Will Most Likely Steal Ideas From
The Past
Some of My Favorite Entries
"Let a man get away with fuckin' you once, you stay bent over so's he can fuck you again whenever he damn well pleases. An' if one man can do it? Another will too. An' another, an' another still. So's being fucked, that's yer life. 'Til who you were, you ain't. 'Cause all you are is an asshole."
100 Bullets #42